Behind the Curtain
Historical events can look different depending on your perspective. In the Behind the Curtain series, readers will come to understand different viewpoints by stepping into the shoes of central characters as they act out dramatic retellings of history's biggest moments. Written with simplified, considerate text to help struggling readers, this series is made to build confidence as readers engage and read aloud. Books in this series include a table of contents, glossary, index, author biography, sidebars, and timelines.
- Level: Grade 4 - Grade 8
- Graphics: Full-color photographs, Historical photographs
- Reinforced book (9781534142640): 7 x 9, 32 pages, © 2019
- Paperback (9781534139077): 7 x 9, 32 pages, © 2019
- Hosted ebook (9781534141476): 7 x 9, 32 pages, © 2019
- Subject: Language Arts, Social Studies
- Series: Behind the Curtain
- JUVENILE NONFICTION / History / General (JNF025000)
- JUVENILE NONFICTION / History / United States / General (JNF025170)
- JUVENILE NONFICTION / Performing Arts / Theater & Musicals (JNF039050)
Individual Titles (8)
School Library Journal - Behind the Curtain
Reviewed on 1 May 2019
Gr 3-5–This series allows children to immerse themselves in the past through a unique and rarely seen approach. An engaging blend of historical events with readers’ theater brings the prose to life. After presenting simplified background information, the books present a cast of characters, all of whom were real individuals, and a two-act script fictionalizing the event. The scripts are written through a modern lens, with the occasional anachronism, even going so far as to predict future repercussions. Despite the heavy nature of some of the topics, the series is accessible to the intended audience. More than just dramatic retellings, anecdotes of marginalized groups are provided, real-world settings and monuments of significance are described, and even historical bloopers are detailed, all of which are accompanied by original and reenacted visuals. VERDICT The unique approach to enlivening history via readers’ theater makes this series a worthy purchase.
No contributors found.
Your cart is empty
- Author/Illustrator biography
- Glossary of key words
- Informative sidebars
- Table of contents
- Timeline of key events