Global Citizens: Sports
Using the new C3 Framework for Social Studies Standards, the Global Citizens: Sports series explores the world's most popular sporting events--from the FIFA World Cup to the Olympics--through the lenses of History, Geography, Civics, and Economics. As they read, students will develop questions about the text, and use evidence from a variety of sources in order to form conclusions. Data-focused backmatter is included, as well as a table of contents, author biography, sidebars, bibliography, glossary, and index.
- Level: Grade 4 - Grade 7
- Graphics: Full-color photographs, Historical photographs
- Reinforced book (9781534146938): 7.5 x 9.5, 32 pages, © 2020
- Paperback (9781534152960): 7.5 x 9.5, 32 pages, © 2020
- Hosted ebook (9781534153189): 7.5 x 9.5, 32 pages, © 2020
- Subject: Language Arts, Social Studies
- Series: 21st Century Skills Library
- Subseries: Global Citizens: Sports
- JUVENILE NONFICTION / People & Places / General (JNF038000)
- JUVENILE NONFICTION / Sports & Recreation / General (JNF054000)
- JUVENILE NONFICTION / Sports & Recreation / Olympics (JNF054110)
Individual Titles (8)
School Library Journal - Global Citizens: Sports
Reviewed on 1 November 2019
Gr 4-7–In this series, the history of each event is described with clear text. With the focus of the series on global citizenry, a chapter in each volume emphasizes the role sports have played in world history. The rules of each game and sportsmanship expectations are also outlined. Some of the sports that are more popular internationally, like cricket and rugby, will have the most new information for U.S. readers. Perhaps best of all is Special Olympics. While other sports spend millions, even billions, on their championship events, the Special Olympics are run almost entirely by volunteers and as such, it is the only nonprofit organization in the series. Jam-packed with information and easily readable, the text is supported with informational sidebars and prompts that encourage readers to do more research. VERDICT These thorough overviews of special sporting events, written by a pair of teachers, are absolutely perfect for report-writing students. Truly exceptional.
No contributors found.
Your cart is empty
- Author/Illustrator biography
- Glossary of key words
- Informative sidebars
- Table of contents